- what to expect in the normal course of adolescent emotional development and when it's time to worry
- why teens (and adults) need to understand that mental health isn't about "feeling good" but about having feelings that fit the moment, even if those feelings are unwanted or painful
- strategies for supporting teens who feel at the mercy of their emotions so they can become psychologically aware and skilled at managing their feelings
- how to approach common challenges that come with adolescence, such as friction at home, spiking anxiety, risky behavior, navigating friendships and romances, the pull of social media, and many more
- the best ways to stay connected to their teens and how to provide the kind of relationship that adolescents need and want
With clear, research-informed explanations alongside illuminating, real-life examples, The Emotional Lives of Teenagers gives parents the concrete, practical information they need to steady their teens through the bumpy yet transformational journey into adulthood.